Now that you’ve figured out what to wear for New Year’s Eve, it is time to think about your plans for the day/night! This time of the year is both wonderful and stressful at the same time, but I’ve got some simple suggestions to make any social gathering during the holidays a good one. Whether you are celebrating with friends or family, let’s make sure our celebrations are as good as the new year will be.
Everyone seems to have their own traditions during the holidays, some prefer to stay in and cook a meal. Others like to go out for dinner and party the night away. Some of us are a little less lucky as their job requires employees to return after Christmas. But don’t let that stop you from celebrating all that’s happened this year whilst also welcoming the new year. In this last entry of the Party Season series I am sharing some of my favourite NYE activities.
If you have family duties
Personally I love celebrating the New Year with family. Usually my mum and I hang around all day eating our favourite snacks and meals and we watch whatever is on TV. For some weird reason, they tend to show quite popular concerts so we always end up singing and dancing along. Another nice option would be to head to organised firework shows, which often are big parties with some of the best performances by famous DJs.
If you are meeting friends
Gather your friends and host the best house party of the year, complete with board games, karaoke and a ‘bring-your-own-traditional-food’ menu. Living in a city like London means your group of friends are likely to all come from different regions/countries that will have traditional (New Year’s Eve) food! Don’t forget to purchase some (safe) fireworks to light when the clock strikes midnight!
If you would rather go out with your friends for a fancy and boozy dinner in London these are the best places to go:
- 100 Wardour Street Restaurant & Club – perfect for a two-in-one night out in the heart of buzzing Soho. Food is served until 2 am, so you can dance and dine until the early hours of the morning! The NYE menu starts from £65 per person.
- German Gymnasium – one of London’s most beautiful restaurants located right next to King’s Cross St. Pancras. The NYE menu includes a glass of Sekt and if £89 per person.
- Sushisamba – a brilliant fusion of Japanese, Brazilian and Peruvian cuisine (and my fave sushi restaurant). On NYE there will be live music and prices start from £75
Perhaps you are feeling like going out out with your mates so you can get proper dressed up! Well if you do, grab your tickets for these parties while you still can:
- Ministry of Sound in Elephant Castle £65 per person
- XOYO in Shoreditch £20 per person
- Ballie Ballerson in Shoreditch prices vary from £15-55 per person
If you can’t stay up past midnight
Let’s be real, most of the time I am struggling to stay up past midnight. Especially if I am staying in it is so easy to fall asleep on the sofa after eating all the food! Food coma’s are so real. Let alone the people that have to work until 6 pm or later. I understand it is not possible for everyone to go wild and party until the early hours of the morning.
Going for a New Year’s Brunch on the 1st of January is an equally great way to celebrate the start of the next 12 months to come. I found some cool places in London that offer these, including vegan brunches in case Veganuary is on your New Year’s resolution list!
- Duck & Waffle in City – a 4 course brunch menu including a glass of prosecco for £49 per person
- Bunga Bunga in Battersea – there will be music, karaoke and bottomless bellinis for £44 per person
- Gaucho – a 3 course meal including a glass of sparkling Argentine wine for £23 per person
If you want to work on another one of your resolutions, meeting a friend on the 1st of January to participate in street cleaning activities is another great thing to do. Fireworks are beautiful at midnight, but not so much at midday. If you live in residential areas the remains of NYE will still be visible towards the end of January and I can’t begin to think of the damage it must cause the environment. Let’s celebrate NYE responsibly!
Lastly……. if you’re feeling spontaneous why not book a last-minute NYE getaway? I listed some of the best place to head to in order to celebrate the special occasion in this post.
What are you up to this New Year’s Eve?
Lots of love,