Earlier this year I came to a realisation that it has been exactly 10 years since I had my first period. A decade in which not much has changed, since I still am barely functional for a full week each month and sadly the world still seems to think periods are taboo. This is why, once again, I will bring up the topic of menstruation.
I shared my period story a couple of months ago, and recently a blogger I admire posted a picture of her after she bled on her sheets on Instagram. Only to loose thousands of followers the day after. I went through the comment section and was shocked by the hatred, and hypocrisy. We still have a long way to go when it comes the topic of menstrual cycles, that is for sure.
But the truth is that most of us women have periods, and most of us women struggle with them. Here are some of mine, and struggles that I hear about quite often:
- Having the unexpected visit of aunt flo without a sanitary product in sight…
- Having to ask a total stranger for said sanitary product and instantly forming a sisterhood bond with them.
- Not knowing which sanitary product to buy when you first start your period. I went through a whole range of products and now stick to one size of pads and pantyliners.
- Not knowing how to use a tampon and being terrified of the tampon getting stuck or “lost”.
- The many code words girls have for their periods and trying to keep track of them all.
- Craving chocolate and carbs the days before you start your period.
- Constantly crying for no reason and being overly emotional the days before your period.
- Going up an entire jeans size because of bloating.
- That waterfall feeling when you stand up quickly…
- Constantly thinking you’re leaking through your sanitary products and asking friends to stare at your but to check for any stains.
- Checking seats for bloodstains soon as you get up.
- Trying to open your pad as quietly as possible in a public toilet.
- Running out of clean period-undies whilst still on your period.
- Cramps. The horrible pain that keeps some of us, including myself, curled up in bed for days.
- Realising that your period has the worst possible timing. Always!
What are some of your struggles? Let me know in the comment!
Lots of love,